If you want the trauma survivor to understand that God is a refuge, then be one. ~ Diane Langberg, PhD

Saturday, September 19, 2026

Six Guiding Principles for a Trauma Informed Approach

 As a social worker, I have been taught and refreshed on these principles for many years. I was taught that when we take foster children into care that, even if their home environment is incredibly dangerous, taking them from that home is still traumatizing. And it is out job to do whatever we can to not traumatize them any further because of our own ignorance or clumsiness.

The principles are:


1. Safety

2.Trustworthiness and Transparency

3. Peer support

4. Collaboration and Mutuality

5. Empowerment and Choice

6. Understanding Cultural, Historical, and Gender Issues


Cynthia Eriksson goes through these at they relate to church ministy in this Fuller Seminary video

Trauma Informed Ministry: Key Elements

This video is about seven minutes long.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Origins, part 2

In the late 80s, early 90s, my then husband and I attended a Bible college in Indiana. While there, my home church in Illinois was going thr...