If you want the trauma survivor to understand that God is a refuge, then be one. ~ Diane Langberg, PhD

Saturday, October 10, 2026

Origins, Part 3, The Cornell 7

Don't worry. I'm not going to actually discuss the Cornell 7 here. Rather, I am going to discuss why I am not shocked.

During our time in Indiana, going to the Bible School that I mentioned in Origins, Part 2, I had another experience.

My ex and I attended a missions class lead by a couple from Great Britain in the early 90s. During the course of the class, the couple's daughter who was attending university somewhere dropped out of school and came home to them.

It was not until later that we learned the reason.

She was raped at her university.

And the university swept it under the rug.

So another part of my origin story involves knowing that this behavior goes on in the world and being shocked by the injustice of it. But surely this was just the way of the world. Not the way of Christian schools.

Boy was I wrong.

Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary

Liberty University

Moody Bible Institute

Wheaton College

And these are only a very few.

So no. The Cornell 7 does not shock me. But I am pleasantly surprised that it isn't getting swept under the rug like the majority of these cases.

And what does this have to do with Trauma Informed Faith?

An author somewhere penned this catchphrase for his book, "The night is dark and full of terrors."

Well, I am here to say, the world and the church (in many areas) are broken and full of traumas.

This is why it behooves us to be trauma informed.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Origins, Part 3, The Cornell 7

Don't worry. I'm not going to actually discuss the Cornell 7 here. Rather, I am going to discuss why I am not shocked. During our ti...